Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Sibling Rivalry

Ok, so for those of you that don't know this about me, I am an only child. When I was younger, I dreamed of having a big sister, sometimes, even a little sister to boss around. Now, these sisters and I never ever fought. They were absolutely perfect! Absolutely everything a girl could want!

Fast forward a couple of decades, and I always wanted to have more than one child. I never wanted my kids to be without a playmate, I never wanted them to have to go through anything alone. I wanted them to always have a best friend. The way I see it, I am going to be the only one dealing with any arrangements and such for my mother. I don't say this as a burden, but only as a fact. Whenever God chooses for her to go home, there will be no one to help me with that. I didn't want this for my child. So, these are some of the reasons I wanted more than one child.

Now, Jason has a brother and as far as he was concerned, he was just fine with one child. I believe this is because he never knew the side of an only child. So, after many discussions and me saying over and over why I could not only have one child, we decided to have another. Now, one thing that nobody, not one of my friends (all of whom are siblings) warned me about, is that they fight! I assumed that there would be disagreements, maybe a little argument over a toy here and there, but not knock down drag out fights before they are teenagers!

They fight over everything, and I do mean everything! It is not uncommon in my house, to walk in one room and see one child choking or sitting on the other. I am waiting for the day that someone has actually hog tied the other! (Lord, I hope not!) I seriously thought that something was wrong with them, until all of my friends with siblings said that this was completely normal! "Really? I thought, this is normal? My dream sisters and I never fought!" I am constantly explaining to my boys over and over that they are very blessed to have a brother, they are blessed to have a best friend and playmate always. But, they don't seem to see it that way!

Aaaaaggghhh.... it's going to be a long, but eventful life ahead here at our house! Continue to pray for us in our journey, and please let me know if there is anyway that I can pray for you!

No comments: