Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Fish Tales

So last night I realized that it is in the nature of men to tell "fish stories". Dalton was talking about fishing and how much fun he had, and he showed me with his hands how big his fish was. First he said "it was this big" and showed with his hands the size it probably was. 2 seconds later his hands got twice as big, and he says "I mean it was this big". Not 2 seconds after that, his hands got way further apart and he says "actually it was this big!". "Wow" I said. And then he proceeded to show me how big the fish that Austin and his Daddy caught was, and if you can picture this, he stretched his arms way out almost backwards of his body, and then did the same thing lengthwise. Now granted, the guys told us that the fish was huge, but wow if you listen to Dalton, Lake Whitney must have some fish on steroids!

Speaking of fishing, this week the verse in Mark chapter 1 vs 16-18 has really been speaking to me. Where Jesus tells them "Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men." and then it says that they left their nets at once, and went with him.

After much meditating on this verse, I have realized that these men literally dropped everything. They were commercial fisherman, and they left all their nets and equipment (the things that made them money) to follow Jesus. After this, I am asking myself "Would I drop everything if God called me to?" Now I know that I would pray about it, and try to do something, but would I immediately obey?

And then I thought "What would He ask of me?" "Would I be asked to sell everything and move to Southeast Asia?" And my answer to myself was "Here I am Lord send me". This verse has been so prominent in my life for the past several weeks, and I want to do everything I can to drop everything and obey.

If you are reading this, and are asking yourself "Are they moving somewhere?" My answer is I don't think so at this moment-but what I am realizing, is that while it is not easy to do what God ask us sometimes, He is always with us and He will never leave us. So even if I was asked to go to some itty bitty one horse town, (which those of you that know me, know that I hate small towns) my answer to God would joyfully be "Yes". No matter what it took.

Now while I am writing this, I am like "Wow, that is scary!" But what is not scary to me, is that I will one day spend eternity with our Lord and Savior in the streets of gold and glory in heaven. And that means more to me than any material possession that I have now. Oh, and I will have a beautiful voice when I am there! :) What could be better?

No comments: